Travelling abroad with medications

Many patients contact us for advice about travelling abroad with their medications. There are rules and regulation concerning this and we have produced this document to inform you about the sorts of things you need to consider. 

Please look at the NHS choices website about travelling with regular medications:

If you are travelling with controlled drugs, for example tramadol, methylphenidate (Ritalin), morphine, oxycodone (Longtec), diazepam, temazepam and zopiclone, there are further regulations and you may need to apply for a licence

Please visit the government website below:

You will need to have a letter from your GP about your medication. Please complete an application form and pass it to a member of reception staff. You should ensure that you allow up to 28 days for the letter to be prepared.

Please note there will be a £15 charge for the letter as this is not an NHS service.

Application for Non-NHS services


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website