If Death Occurs At Home
1. Telephone the surgery and ask the doctor to visit to confirm that death has taken place.
2. Contact a funeral director.
3. The death certificate will be sent to the Registrars Office for the area in which the death took place..
4. The registrars office will contact the family to arrange an appointment.
5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who can then make arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will ask you how many Certified Copies you need to sort out the deceased person's finances, that is their bank accounts or insurance policies (they will charge a fee for each copy).
If The Death Occurs In Hospital
1. Ring a funeral director to let him know that you need his services.
2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow 4 - 5 as above
Note For Cremation
Your funeral director will usually ring the surgery if any other information or certificates are needed.
Support in Times of Bereavement
There are a number of services who can offer you support during a bereavement Support in Times of Bereavement.pdf